Thursday, July 24, 2014

Doctors, Losing Weight, and Cancer

I've been to many doctors in my life. I've gotten kind of used to them, so when I went to Dr. Burrell for a follow-up appointment, it wasn't that much of a thing. Except, well, it was a thing - since he was going to tell me more about the pelvic mass that I have. Turns out that it's not cancerous and he's willing to let it sit there unless trouble arises. Basically, he made the point that a benign mass is less important than losing weight.

He asked me, like all doctors do, if I was planning on getting bariatric surgery. No. No. A thousand times no. Yes, I'm super-sized. Yes, I run the risk of every single goddamned thing that can possibly go wrong in a body (or so every medical community ever would like me to think). Yes, I can think of at least three people who have had that type of surgery. No. I'd rather bring down the weight with diet.

When I weighed myself at the doc's office, it said that I weighed 371. That means I lost a respectable 4 pounds since I was last weighed 2 weeks ago. I'm going to get weighed at another office tomorrow - a different doc's wanting to see me about a different condition - sleep apnea. I've been told that CPAPs are godsends, but I like the unencumbered sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment