Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Scales and the Weight Loss Challenge

When I was younger, I got a loan from the bank to play on the stock market. I had the credit rating and wasn't concerned (at all) with the fact that I'd owe money to the bank for the next few years. I was full of myself and believed that I could do make a ton of money based on semi-predictable fluctuations in the market. Instead, I wound up on an extremely emotional roller coaster ride that ended up with me nearly losing everything because I had the patience of a gnat.

I'd check my stock. I'd check again five minutes later. Another five minutes, another check. In fact, I was like a rat who had cocaine wired directly into its brain. I'd press the button again and again, hoping that I would win. Impatience doesn't work at all.

I'm hitting the scale just as fast as I hit the refresh button on my stock. Have I lost? Have I lost? Have I? Just two more tenths of a pound. You can do it, body! There's no reason to stop now because you really *want* to shrug off the weight. I've found myself getting a little neurotic with standing on the scale.

Yes, I started to weigh myself before and after using the bathroom. We got the scale yesterday, and I have weighed myself a whole *bunch* of times already. I can hear the scale groaning under my weight just like I can hear the boards near the gems at Phoenix and Dragon groaning or the floors at the Book Nook (in Marietta) talking to me.

I'm going to have to resist the temptation to weigh myself every second and just weigh every week. That will keep me from becoming emotionally involved with the weight that fluctuates five pounds either way with only the fact that I can't stand still. Really. I can't. It takes a few times of standing on the scale to get an even remotely accurate read.

So, watching the scale is out. Dare I make this another rule? I think not. Rules suck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment