Saturday, July 26, 2014

BMI, The Biggest Loser, Family, and Weight Loss for the rampant SMOballs.

Everything changes. What was once in one place will shift a little to the left, to the right, or even vanish. That's what happens when you lose weight - you're in this battle to get rid of the pounds but your body has to figure out what it's going to do with what's left. So, it shifts the weight around, makes things lumpy that weren't lumpy the day before, and generally encourages you to find a new way to sleep every day. The backache that I woke with was just evidence of a changing body.

My guy is joining me on the low-carb thing. He's going more radical than I am, because he's wanting the fast weight loss. He's nowhere near the size that I am, but he's concerned because he's butting right up against 200. He wants to drop 20-30 pounds so that he's able to freely move again. I don't think that he appreciated it when I pointed out that I'm not 2x him anymore - his goal is that both of us are under 200, going on hikes, and basically conquering the world.

Got to talk with one of my cousins yesterday as a result of this blog. I don't talk much with my family - I know that they're out there, but I never feel as if I have something important to say to them. I'm a stranger to them now, bonded only by blood a couple of generations ago. Still, while some of them are a bit too conservative for my tastes, they're all pretty cool.

I was reading today about the classifications of weight:

BMI Classification
< 18.5 underweight 18.5–24.9 normal weight 25.0–29.9 overweight 30.0–34.9 class I obesity 35.0–39.9 class II obesity (severe obesity) 40.0-50.0 class III obesity (morbid obesity) >50 class III obesity (super obesity)

According to several BMI calculators (I used this BMI calculator at WebMD and this BMI calculator at bmi-calculator.net) to find out that my BMI ranges between 62 and 69, depending on who's doing the counting. To reach what the table considers normal, the target weight goal becomes 140.

Now, I'm completely intrigued by this concept. This crazy carb-counting journey started at 417.2 which is about 3 pounds shy of 3 supposedly normal people. To be normal, I need to drop 62% of my weight. This means that I should have gotten on the Biggest Loser. Like, seriously -- though, I believe that it drops the weight too fast. Why should I have been a contestant?


See that? Even Rachel Frederickson (who was subject to a LOT of controversy because the weight loss was SO dramatic) only lost a tad under 60%, and it was unhealthy for her. She looked like she was a refugee when she was done. Me? I wouldn't look like that, because I'm coming from a higher weight. Really and truly, there are other reasons that I don't apply to the Biggest Loser, but I still find it fascinating that I'd have a shot to win.

I hope that everything's going well out there in the real world for you - drop me a line if you'd like! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment